JMeter 4 with Java 1.7

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

JMeter 4 with Java 1.7

Prasad K
Hi,

Is there a way to use JMeter 4 with Java 1.7? Our organization yet to
upgrade Java to 1.8 version. Because of this we are unable to use JMeter
4.0.

Regards,
Prasad.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: JMeter 4 with Java 1.7

glinius@live.com
According to  JMeter changelog
<https://jmeter.apache.org/changes_history.html>   the latest JMeter version
which is compatible with Java 7 is  JMeter 3.1
<https://www.blazemeter.com/blog/whats-new-jmeter-31>  

I don't think you will be able to use  JMeter 4 with Java 7 as it simply
will not compile.

With regards to "organization" if you really need JMeter 4 you can point the
responsible persons to  JMeter Best Practices you should always be using the
latest version of JMeter
<https://jmeter.apache.org/usermanual/best-practices.html>  , moreover the
end of public updates for Java 7 was in April 2015 (>3 years ago)

Be aware that you can always download Java 8 (or higher) from OpenJDK
archives <https://jdk.java.net/8/>   or use  Java 8 Docker containers
<https://hub.docker.com/_/java/>   so you could bundle Java distribution
along with the required JMeter distribution along with the tests

 



--
Sent from: http://www.jmeter-archive.org/JMeter-User-f512775.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: JMeter 4 with Java 1.7

Marek Czernek
In reply to this post by Prasad K
Can't you run JMeter with Java 8 and your application with Java 7? It's
not a tool that somehow tests the code of your app itself; it creates
requests and reads responses... For that, the Java version should not
matter...

The community will correct me if I'm wrong here, please.

Cheers,
--

Marek Czernek

JWS/JBCS Associate Quality Engineer, RHCA


On 11/12/18 7:54 AM, Prasad K wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to use JMeter 4 with Java 1.7? Our organization yet to
> upgrade Java to 1.8 version. Because of this we are unable to use JMeter
> 4.0.
>
> Regards,
> Prasad.
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: JMeter 4 with Java 1.7

Prasad K
Hi Marek, JMeter was built using Java. So Java version does matter for
JMeter.

On Mon, 12 Nov 2018 at 21:31, Marek Czernek <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Can't you run JMeter with Java 8 and your application with Java 7? It's
> not a tool that somehow tests the code of your app itself; it creates
> requests and reads responses... For that, the Java version should not
> matter...
>
> The community will correct me if I'm wrong here, please.
>
> Cheers,
> --
>
> Marek Czernek
>
> JWS/JBCS Associate Quality Engineer, RHCA
>
>
> On 11/12/18 7:54 AM, Prasad K wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is there a way to use JMeter 4 with Java 1.7? Our organization yet to
> > upgrade Java to 1.8 version. Because of this we are unable to use JMeter
> > 4.0.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Prasad.
> >
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: JMeter 4 with Java 1.7

Prasad K
In reply to this post by glinius@live.com
Hi Glinius,

Thanks for your response.  Java 8 Docker container option looks
interesting. I will check.

Regards,
Prasad.

On Mon, 12 Nov 2018 at 21:14, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> According to  JMeter changelog
> <https://jmeter.apache.org/changes_history.html>   the latest JMeter
> version
> which is compatible with Java 7 is  JMeter 3.1
> <https://www.blazemeter.com/blog/whats-new-jmeter-31>
>
> I don't think you will be able to use  JMeter 4 with Java 7 as it simply
> will not compile.
>
> With regards to "organization" if you really need JMeter 4 you can point
> the
> responsible persons to  JMeter Best Practices you should always be using
> the
> latest version of JMeter
> <https://jmeter.apache.org/usermanual/best-practices.html>  , moreover the
> end of public updates for Java 7 was in April 2015 (>3 years ago)
>
> Be aware that you can always download Java 8 (or higher) from OpenJDK
> archives <https://jdk.java.net/8/>   or use  Java 8 Docker containers
> <https://hub.docker.com/_/java/>   so you could bundle Java distribution
> along with the required JMeter distribution along with the tests
>
>
>
>
>
> --
> Sent from: http://www.jmeter-archive.org/JMeter-User-f512775.html
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: JMeter 4 with Java 1.7

Marek Czernek
In reply to this post by Prasad K
I know Java matters, but as I said, you don't have to run both apps on
the same JVM. You can run your app with Java 7, and JMeter with Java 8 .
That should be possible even on the same machine, but you should really
use JMeter from a different machine in any case.

On 11/14/18 4:25 AM, Prasad K wrote:

> Hi Marek, JMeter was built using Java. So Java version does matter for
> JMeter.
>
> On Mon, 12 Nov 2018 at 21:31, Marek Czernek <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Can't you run JMeter with Java 8 and your application with Java 7? It's
>> not a tool that somehow tests the code of your app itself; it creates
>> requests and reads responses... For that, the Java version should not
>> matter...
>>
>> The community will correct me if I'm wrong here, please.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> --
>>
>> Marek Czernek
>>
>> JWS/JBCS Associate Quality Engineer, RHCA
>>
>>
>> On 11/12/18 7:54 AM, Prasad K wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Is there a way to use JMeter 4 with Java 1.7? Our organization yet to
>>> upgrade Java to 1.8 version. Because of this we are unable to use JMeter
>>> 4.0.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Prasad.
>>>
--

Marek Czernek

JWS/JBCS Associate Quality Engineer, RHCA

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: JMeter 4 with Java 1.7

Prasad K
Yes I am aware of the possibility of using multiple Java versions on same
machine. For example specifying "Java installation path" in Jmeter.bat can
take the required Java version. But the problem is it is not possible to
install Java 8 in our environment. Also as Glinius said JMeter 4 will not
work with Java 7 because it will not even get compiled. So answer to my
question is that it is not possible to use JMeter 4 with Java 7.

On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 at 13:33, Marek Czernek <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I know Java matters, but as I said, you don't have to run both apps on
> the same JVM. You can run your app with Java 7, and JMeter with Java 8 .
> That should be possible even on the same machine, but you should really
> use JMeter from a different machine in any case.
>
> On 11/14/18 4:25 AM, Prasad K wrote:
> > Hi Marek, JMeter was built using Java. So Java version does matter for
> > JMeter.
> >
> > On Mon, 12 Nov 2018 at 21:31, Marek Czernek <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Can't you run JMeter with Java 8 and your application with Java 7? It's
> >> not a tool that somehow tests the code of your app itself; it creates
> >> requests and reads responses... For that, the Java version should not
> >> matter...
> >>
> >> The community will correct me if I'm wrong here, please.
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> --
> >>
> >> Marek Czernek
> >>
> >> JWS/JBCS Associate Quality Engineer, RHCA
> >>
> >>
> >> On 11/12/18 7:54 AM, Prasad K wrote:
> >>> Hi,
> >>>
> >>> Is there a way to use JMeter 4 with Java 1.7? Our organization yet to
> >>> upgrade Java to 1.8 version. Because of this we are unable to use
> JMeter
> >>> 4.0.
> >>>
> >>> Regards,
> >>> Prasad.
> >>>
> --
>
> Marek Czernek
>
> JWS/JBCS Associate Quality Engineer, RHCA
>
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: JMeter 4 with Java 1.7

shettyd
Hi

>But the problem is it is not possible to install Java 8 in our environment.
When you say "environment" - if you mean the machines (or your test lab or
laptop) from which JMeter is going to run , because of some organization
policy , ok then yes you cant use a JMeter version that needs Java 8 (If
docker is fine , then so should be any other VM technology that would allow
you to install whatever Java version)

If by environment , you mean your actual application (on which your code
runs), then Marek is correct. Your application and what its running on has
no relation to your test machine. Usually organizations may be slow to
upgrade Java for their actual applications but there is rarely a
restriction that prevents people from doing so on their laptops or test
clients which is why we feel you are mixing up 2 different things.


regards
deepak

On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 7:39 PM Prasad K <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes I am aware of the possibility of using multiple Java versions on same
> machine. For example specifying "Java installation path" in Jmeter.bat can
> take the required Java version. But the problem is it is not possible to
> install Java 8 in our environment. Also as Glinius said JMeter 4 will not
> work with Java 7 because it will not even get compiled. So answer to my
> question is that it is not possible to use JMeter 4 with Java 7.
>
> On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 at 13:33, Marek Czernek <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I know Java matters, but as I said, you don't have to run both apps on
> > the same JVM. You can run your app with Java 7, and JMeter with Java 8 .
> > That should be possible even on the same machine, but you should really
> > use JMeter from a different machine in any case.
> >
> > On 11/14/18 4:25 AM, Prasad K wrote:
> > > Hi Marek, JMeter was built using Java. So Java version does matter for
> > > JMeter.
> > >
> > > On Mon, 12 Nov 2018 at 21:31, Marek Czernek <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > >
> > >> Can't you run JMeter with Java 8 and your application with Java 7?
> It's
> > >> not a tool that somehow tests the code of your app itself; it creates
> > >> requests and reads responses... For that, the Java version should not
> > >> matter...
> > >>
> > >> The community will correct me if I'm wrong here, please.
> > >>
> > >> Cheers,
> > >> --
> > >>
> > >> Marek Czernek
> > >>
> > >> JWS/JBCS Associate Quality Engineer, RHCA
> > >>
> > >>
> > >> On 11/12/18 7:54 AM, Prasad K wrote:
> > >>> Hi,
> > >>>
> > >>> Is there a way to use JMeter 4 with Java 1.7? Our organization yet to
> > >>> upgrade Java to 1.8 version. Because of this we are unable to use
> > JMeter
> > >>> 4.0.
> > >>>
> > >>> Regards,
> > >>> Prasad.
> > >>>
> > --
> >
> > Marek Czernek
> >
> > JWS/JBCS Associate Quality Engineer, RHCA
> >
> >
>